Sunday, March 9, 2008

March 9th



Freshman year of college. A Sunday morning like any other. Or at least it started off that way. I was, of course, sleeping dumb late, feeling the effects of what your average college freshman gets into on a Saturday night. The phone rings. I'm thinking something along the lines of "who the fuck is this, calling me at...10:46, Sunday morning?!" - or whatever time it was. Who cares?! I just knew it was still before noon, and whoever was calling me had better have a damn good reason.

It was my then-girlfriend.

She told me Biggie was dead.

My attitude quickly dissipated, giving way to incredulity. I ran to the student lounge and turned to MTV. Surely my girl was buggin'! She must've heard some bullshit rumor or something, right? Right!? But no. There it was on the screen. Dude was gone. Just like that.

He was only around long enough to give us two (classic!) albums. He didn't leave behind very many unused recordings. Yet somehow - and I know this may sound like clichéd sentimentality - his presence has remained so strong in hip hop's collective psyche, that one can hardly believe it's been 11 years since his untimely departure.

As a small tribute, rather than some "greatest hits" type deal ('cause who doesn't already have those?), I put up some of his rarer or lesser known gems and collabos that you're not gonna find at your local record Itunes store, plus this video of him back in his unsigned days, ripping some poor bastard a new one. Haha.

Biggie Smalls is the illest. R.I.P.




























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOoooooohhhh Can I have the B side with Da Brat?!?!? I need that song *smacks arm*