Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I'm so cool

Frequency and I went to the VH1 Storytellers taping for Snoop Dogg last week. Unfortunately, VH1 didn't let us take pictures or video during the performance, but it was definitely one for the ages. Doug E. Fresh came out to do "Lodi Dodi;" Too Short and Mistah F.A.B. did "Life of the Party;" Daz & Kurupt came out for a Dogg Pound reunion (surprised they didn't do "NY, NY" - that woulda been ganksta); Teddy Riley was on the keys; Quik was on the drum machine; Battlecat and Jam were on the (4) wheels; Terrace Martin was on sax...Good shit.

Shout out to Ted Chung and Shvona, who ironically went to high school with Shanna.

Iron Solomon (do yourself a favor and "youtube" him - this dude is ill) was in the house, as was John Brown. I tried to convince Iron to battle John Brown, but he was afraid of embarrising Mr. Second Place in the White Rapper Show. No disrespect to Tha King of Tha Burbs, I actually thought he had skills on the show, but his whole "Ghetto Revival" shtick has probably hindered his career if anything. I do hear he has a modeling agency though...That's what's up. Halleleujah Hollaback.

In any event, it was good meeting Terrace (who played piano on the Frequency joint on "Ego Trippin'") and DJ Quik (who mixed the record), although I must admit it was a little weird when Terrace told Frequency that he met his other manager. WTF?? Awkward.

It was also good to get up with Snoop and Co. while they were in New York, especially since we completely missed the album release party on Monday. I won't blow anyone's spot. Let's just say that we were still in Arizona on Monday (more on Arizona soon - I promise!).

Terrace wound up telling us that they'd be at the hotel bar in a couple of hours, so me and Freq grabbed some food and headed over. In the interest of full disclosure, Frequency didn't want to go because we couldn't get in touch with Terrace after we left the VH1 shoot, and he didn't want to bum rush the show. You know me - I was like f' it - he told us to come through. When we got to the hotel, the bar was filled with older white politican-types in tuxedos. We actually caught Quik out the corner of our eye in the lobby, but at that point, I agreed with Frequency that we'd probably look like idiots chasing him down to see if he wanted to chill, so we bounced.

It kinda reminded me of the time that me and Cinsere went to the hotel where Destiny's Child was staying at back around the time that "Survivor" dropped. You see, Destiny's Child had been on Letterman earlier that day and I wound up catching them getting out of their limo down the block after the show. Ironically, I had met them all a couple of weeks before when I snuck into an autograph signing they were having at FYE (I was wearing a suit for work and just walked right in with the press (plus I had my old CBS ID when I was an intern at WCBS-FM just in case)). So when I saw them getting out of the limo, I said what's up and Kelly remembered me. She started talking to me and whatnot, and I was like, "yeah, yeah, whatever, so, um, Beyonce, what's up" (lol). Beyonce pretty much ignored me and then their bodyguards were like, ok, time for you to go, but I was not to be deterred.

Later that night, I gathered my accomplice (Sincere) and I was determined to find Beyonce. If I wasn't gonna get a date with her, I at least was gonna freestyle for her or play her some beats (this is back when I still wanted to be a rapper or producer - well, I guess I still want to be a rapper or producer, I just don't do either anymore, I live vicariously through my clients). After asking the front desk for Ms. Knowles' room and roaming the hotel for like an hour, we couldn't find them and gave up. However, at one point, we were talking about them in the elevator, and some older dude was like "Oh, they're staying here? I'm a huge fan of there's." It turned out to be Matthew Knowles. D'oh.

I also learned that night that hotel bars tend to be swarming with hookers. For all I know, a 15-year old "Kristen" might've been in the house that night getting her start. And you all wonder where R. Kelly meets these girls...In any event, there were no hookers at the hotel bar where Snoop was staying, or maybe there were, which would explain why there were so many politician-types in the building. But, as for Snoop, he don't love them hoes.

I leave you with Morris Day and The Time's video for "Cool." Snoop performed a 20-minute rendition of this song to close his set for VH1, but it probably won't air because Prince wouldn't give TV clearance for it. It was awesome.



Oh, and Snoop's management wound up inviting us out to his "One Life To Live" shoot the following day. I missed it, but Frequency wound up getting up with Snoop to play Rock, Paper, Scissor. The game ended in a tie.

3 comments:

Cinsere said...

"Later that night, I gathered my accomplice (Sincere) and I was determined to find Beyonce."

Dude..."c" first, THEN "s". It took me a long time to come up with that clever spelling!

Still Legal said...

The funny thing is, I was thinking "spell it the way he spells it" when I was typing it, but I guess I forgot.

Still Legal said...

Oh, I got it right the first time lol