Monday, March 3, 2008

Being humble is so 2007. Trust Me. (c) Erykah Badu

I have a confession to make.

I love Erykah Badu.

I don't even know why.

There's just something about her.

I don't even know her music that well. I've never bought any of her albums. I own her first album, but I only have it because I found it abandoned in a computer lab at school many years back and took it. I don't think I ever even listened to it. That "Tyrone" song was hot as was "Bag Lady," but since then, I can't even tell you what she's done.

This is what I know:

- She did a new album with production from Madlib and 9th (sounds cool to me, but where was Frequency? Oh yeah, apparently she has a production team with ?uestlove called Frequency (which I learned last month courtesty of...Frequency (guess which one?). I think I'll buy it, even though I was hoping for a free copy when I was up at Universal last week (they had none!).

- She used to date Andre 3000, Common, and (get this) the D.O.C. Yup! She has a 3 year old kid with him.

- She moved to NY 11 years ago from Dallas into a rent controlled apartment in BK. She still lives there.

- Steven Hill (of BET) says "[Y]ou can't look Erykah Badu directly in the eye. She will suck you in, and you just want to follow her. . . ." I think he's right.

- ?uestlove says "Everyone she met fell in love with her within five minutes." I think he's probably right.

- The quote that is the title of this blog is really from Erykah Badu and it is so true. Word to Snoop Dogg's Ego Trippin' album. Coincidence? I think not. You only got one chance to make it good. A little cryptic, I know, but it makes sense. Think about it! Seriously.

- I love Jill Scott too. I think I'm a closet neo-soul freak.

3 comments:

Frequency said...

get a haircut.

Unknown said...

use a picture from a non-defunct publication

Anonymous said...

ROFL! Love the pics!!!! Also, you're not a closet "neo-soul" freak...you just appreciate good music.