Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Liberty? Bell!


And just like that
I was free.
Called upon
To take the trip down that l o n g corridor
After which there is no return.
Out of darkness
Through darkness
And into darkness
I go knowing
Nothing is left for me where I'm from.
My comrades have all suffered the same fate
Lured by the winds caress
That slight, seductive taste of
Freedom.
Freedom so sweet
Freedom so exhilarating
Freedom so blinding
That once you see the carnage ahead
It is far too late to turn back.
And so I go
In the name of the 50 stars they worship so.
So much so
That they numbered us
One
By
One
By
One
By
One
By…

By the waste side falls
One.
Mine.
I ripped through his flesh
With unfathomable ease.
I tore past his chest muscle.
Severed his lifelines.
Burrowed into his heart.
All in the time it took for
One final blink of an eye.
It would be the end
To both of our stories
As I remain
Trapped in this new darkness
Left with nothing more than the realization
That what I once considered freedom
Was never freedom at all.

No comments: