Monday, August 4, 2008

Step ya production game up

Seriously, when did being a producer become the "thing to do" in Hip Hop?

I swear, the thought process must be as follows: I don't have the "look" or the "swag" to rap, I don't know how to get a label job, I don't have the contacts to be a manager, I don't have the skills to DJ, but I want to be in the music industry...I know what I'll do, I'll produce.

Now, I know people are going to jump down my throat for that comment, just like they did to Prolyfic when he said he doesn't mess with "Fruity Loop" producers.

That's not what I'm saying. I always wanted to be in the music industry. I went through the cycle. I've done it all. Rhymed, DJed, produced, etc. Where I'm at right now has been 23 years in the making. What does that mean? I started rapping at 6. Yeah, I said it. I'm on the business side now, and I'm staying on the business side.

At a certain point, a person has to look at themselves and ask, what do I want to do with my life? When you pick that craft, you have to perfect it. Don't half ass it.

Bottom line, if I make better beats than you, I'm not going to rep you. I don't even have time to rep all the producers that I think are hot. Why the hell would I rep a producer that has less skills than me?

Then again, I would've lost out on millions had Soulja Boy sent me a beat CD, so what the hell do I know?

No comments: